9/20/2005

Coles Bay, language, and signage

We spent a few days in a very nice "shack" in Coles Bay. In English, I mean to say a nicely appointed house, complete with barbecue. The barbecue is actually a flat metal sheet, heated from underneath by 3 rows of propane flame. I'll have to keep practicing my chicken recipes, but it's a great structure for grilling steaks and the like.

Mike and Ginger and kids took some ambitious hikes around the Freycinet range of mountains. Liz and I made it as far as the Wineglass Bay lookout, she with her blossoming chest cold and me with my excess baggage and bad knees. Beautiful mountain views from almost any angle, and many bay and ocean views as well.

On the way back, Mike took some extra time to explore further up the coast, then back down toward Hobart via the central highway. We stopped for some coffee and sampled a chocolate and banana filled pancake at the Mt. Elephant Pancake Barn. In English, we would say crepe. Or, I guess, in French they'd say crepe, too. I'm having a bit more trouble with the accents and idioms than I'd expected. But, most folks are friendly and outgoing and show some compassion for our foreign ears. I'm collecting some phrases and stories to post here eventually.

I get a kick out of photographing some signs that capture the language and sense of humor. Here's one from the parking lot of the crepe barn. Stay tuned.

No comments: