Here is Liz's description of her New Zealand experience. I wanted to post it because it is a more balanced and descriptive take than my rants and whines.
=========
"NZ has taken up tourism in a big way. Their are positive aspects of this and many negative aspects, I feel. Among the positive aspects: The intercity bus system is comfortable, efficient, reliable, easy, and cooperative with one's particular needs, e.g. the bus drops you off near to your place of accommodation. One does not need to rent a car because there is public transportation to almost anywhere a regular tourist would want to go. ("regular tourist" being one who wants to see what the tourbook advises.) There is a huge number and variety of "backpacker" lodgings everywhere, not just in big cities. We found that most of them are perfectly adequate, some are really nice and one was a total dive.
The negatives are that all the tourist destinations feel very commercialized. There are multiple posters and pamphlets and exhortations advertising the bus or shuttle tour. It is all very competitive, so what is promised in order to get the booking is not always what is delivered. Suits for personal liability are not permitted so the advertised feature is not necessary safe to do. I suppose that is why there are five or six outfits for each dangerous activity, offering bungy jumping or tandem parachuting or rafting down huge rapids or parasailing or rock-climbing down a waterfall. Anyone can open a business without liability and without insurance. Kind of scary. And annoyingly testosterone-laden. Which goes with the binge-drinking which happens before and after the spine-tingle.
NZ is a country that I should have visited when I was 20-30 years old. EVERY part of the country has multiple well-maintained and publicized hikes of all different lengths. We did not find the descriptions entirely accurate.
NZ is very beautiful with dramatic and arrestingly beautiful sights - mountains, seashores, rolling pasture lands, more mountains. You almost get tired of trying to appreciate all that beauty The most beautiful drive, for me, was relatively unpublicized - from Franz Joseph down to Queenstown. The alledged "most beautiful train ride in the world" from Christchurch to Greymouth, was disappointing.
I liked Christchurch - particularly enjoyed the Art Centre - full of shops of beautiful crafts. We went on Saturday when there is also a craft show outside in the courtyard. Pretty gardens.
I liked Nelson for its weather and its beach and a fun wine tour that we did there. The downtown streets are fun to walk and shop.
I liked Napier for its architecture. The city was razed by an earthquake in 1931 and was rebuilt in the style that was au courant at that time - Art Deco. Since then it has been remarkable well preserved. Much of the tin ceilings and the leaded stained glass windows and the geometric tile patterns are still there. I attended the only live ballet that I have ever seen there - The Russian Imperial Ballet doing Romeo and Juliette - in the gorgeous Art Deco theatre. It also has a long beach to walk or bike along - but not to swim.
The two best beaches are Mt Maunganui (- watch the surfers) and Matarangi, about a mile of white sand with moderate waves, which we had all to ourselves.
We went to Coramandel Peninsula because the guidebook made it sound like Provincetown - many artists and artisans, lovely beaches, "interesting" alternative types - NOT. I can see why Paihia is a summer tourist destination but it ain't P'town.
It has the best hostel - Captain Bob's. We had a fabulous, sunny but not too hot day cruise with Capt Mike and about ten paying customers- sailing around, stopped to snorkel and swim and kayak, were fed snacks as well as lunch, went searching for dolphins, Terri caught two big fish off the back. Capt Mike told us that Fiji is fabulous and that Vanuatu is not - and I would believe him.
So, that's my input on NZ. I hope that you have a good time. Take your woolies and rain gear. That west coast of the South Island is wet and cold.
We are back in Australia, and glad to be here. We are in Canberra, the capital of Australia, for the next ten days. Canberra is in the middle of a drought - which is nice after New Zealand! (how cavalier of me. I guess that I should be praying that they do not have a huge brush fire like the one that destroyed 1/4 of the city in 2003.) We are volunteering at the National Folk Festival. I have been trained and will start my "work" tomorrow. "
4/10/2006
NZ commentary by Liz
Posted by Ter at 9:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I've enjoyed reading again your Tasmaniacs 2005 recent postings this Easter morning.
While we agree with much that you say about NZ especially its over commercialised and deceptive tourist industry, Deej and I have a milder take than you. But we were only there for a week or so, and you've been there much, much longer, visiting many more places with a greater variety of experiences. We also traveled mainly by hire car, where we had control over where to go, when to stop on the spur of the moment or whim (although it was very expensive). We were quite impressed, for eg, with the back mountain drive on curvy, curvy roads from Westport to Nelson. Deej liked the trip over Arthur Pass, but I was unimpressed, but thought the Castle Hill sacred boulders (before going up to the pass) was worth the whole Alpine day-trip from the South Island's east coast to the west coast. We also were much impressed by the North Island's south-west coastal area around Taranaki and New Plymouth, which is more off the tourist beaten track, and we were with warm and cheerful 'relatives.' That can make a big difference. Similar to making our trip to Tas so wonderful because you two were such fantastic hosts.
One does have to be aware of overpriced adventures and events, but overall we much enjoyed our brief time in NZ.
Terri, you write,
"As soon as I get back to the part of the world that doesn't charge by the tight-assed minute for internet access, I will spill my guts."
I'm not sure there is such a "part of the world." I just returned from a conference in San Francisco, where the main Conference hotel, the downtown Marriott, did not have internet connections, except through 5 computers in their Business center, that charged an arm and a leg. Connections through 5 computers for 2,500 delegates from all over the world. No wireless connections available anywhere in the hotel. No free wireless connections at Cincinati, Atlanta, etc (you could get 15 minutes for $3 and then 20 cents for each additional minute). On the other hand, the non-Conference cheaper hotel I and a roomate stayed at, the 100 year old Kennsington Park Hotel (suruvied the earthquake and fire) had good, free wireless connections in our rooms and the lobby. What a joy.
Internet things, of course, change quickly, so who knows what it will be like in a year or five years. While there, one of the SF Chronicle's headlines was "City plans for free Internet access city-wide in 2 years" Other cities have similar plans.
I'm glad Liz thought of the libraries and access from there - hey, isn't it wonderful we have such libraries. Proud to be a librarian!
Sounds like a wonderful Folk Festival you are at.
About a month ago one of the newspapers highlight the Appalachian (Virginia) music series "The Crooked Road" and the fiddling CD of 12-year old Montana Young. I bought the CD and it is wonderful music. If you ever get a chance, have a listen (if I ever figure out how to put up files and mp3 music on my Internet Mac account I might add them there).
I've enjoyed all your comments, opinions, etc. Keep them coming. Now, I'm off to see your photos, while my Easter peasant bread bakes.
--Philip Mc
Hey, Phil, thanks for your descriptions. Funny, we just heard from some Tassie friends who are touring in NZ for a month in a campervan. They watched an air show, rode on a wire down a mountain 'like a roller coaster without the rollercoaster' while being videotaped, took the steamship ride around a lake, rode a plane through the Milford Sound, and on and on. I'm going to write them back saying 'Thank goodness! You're still alive.' :-) Actually, there have been deaths on that wire ride, but I bet there are no publicized numbers. And, Liz points out that each of those activities can be quite pricey.
On the internet whining.... In Vancouver, the hostel supplied 4 ethernet cables, in addition to some pay kiosks. It is financially feasible, unless the business does not have the tech savvy, or unless they're in bed with the folks who make 8 - 10 bucks an hour per head. I have a gut mistrust to the point that I feel lack of internet access keeps the customers dumb, too. We're at the mercy of 4 year old info from the travel guide books, the brochures in the hostels, or the word of mouth of the hostel employees who are coached to throw business to the latest handshake deal. Seems to me the establishments need to realize the draw that free internet (or at least the ability to plug in one's own machine) has some payback value. In the meantime, they've got the traveler by the throat.
Post a Comment