We both survived. But, we were almost stranded due to visa issues. Luckily, we were granted enough of a visa to get back to Australia, where we had more troubles with immigration. However, those were resolved enough that we're still in Australia legally for the next few weeks. So, here's a few photos from Vanuatu, the hotest place I've ever been.
TP 'for us'. You + me = Yumi = Us. I enjoyed deciphering Bismal, the pidgeon English that is the common language that unites island peoples with over 100 dialects. Blong is a diverse verb for is, of, for, and the like.
Bucket brigade of cement. It was amazing to see these guys heaving the bags up layer by layer to the brick layers above.
Can you figure out the name of the internet cafe?
This is a poster at our motel advertising the BBQ, custom dances, music, and kava tasting. Wiki kava if you'd like to learn more. I believe kava is an element of 'Tension Tamer Plus' tea which I used to drink while I worked at the internet company. I doubt it was the same strength as the kava that they make in Vanuatu. We learned how to spot the kava cafes and ordered up '50's' at first and then '100's' as we became accustomed to the gentle and relaxing effects. But, gosh it sure does taste nasty. It is ground up roots and really is the color and consistency that is shown in this picture. Took some practice, but we mastered it. :-) When in Rome as they say.
Solar heating on the roof of the motel.
We were welcomed into the village with traditional dancing.
Some of the women selling crafts in the village.
Should anyone sit on this fence?
I'll throw some more pictures up on my other web pages when I get a chance. We're in Sydney over night before heading to Canberra tomorrow for the National Folk Festival.
PS Luckily we were not affected by the Solomon Island earthquakes or tsunamis. But, after seeing Vanuatu villages, I can understand how low lying areas could be easily washed away. Puts our piddly visa problems in perspective.
4/02/2007
Vanuatu
Posted by Ter at 10:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment