The HOT Stringband, or subgroup of, gets most of my fiddling attention these days. Once a week on Thursdays they have a round robin jam or rehearsal for upcoming performances. I got to know them a bit, jammed on the side with founder Fred a few times and chatted with him about putting together some cross tuning workshops when the cold weather returns again. (You know: 'our winter, your summer'.)
Anyway, after getting a feeling for who was jamming when around here, I decided to call some Appalachian old timey jams on Saturdays at noon. I announce it over a list-serve that is administered by the Tasmania Folk Federation, a great resource for finding dances, concerts, jams, and all things folkie. I announce it as Appalachian old time, and publish some links to educate folks about the genre. Haven't had anyone show up wanting to play hard core bluegrass or cowtown tunes yet. I chose Sat. at noon because that is a few hours before some other Saturday jams, and I figured I might get some interest. Yes, indeedy, there's been a steady crew of about 5 people who want to learn more tunes and techniques. We meet at an outdoor location, near the Salamanca market when the weather's nice, and at the Lark Distillery when it's rainy.
[Side story: My umbrella was mangled to bits by a gusty gale. I was walking with some folks from the outdoor venue to the Lark, and I had just announced "Look at the American with her umbrella in a windstorm!" when a good gust turned my umbrella inside out, sideways, and backwards. Now I understand why real Hobartians eschew 'brellies'. They are really useless when there is both rain and wind. Folks tell stories of seeing dustbins full of umbrellas after windy storms. :-) From here on in, it's just me and my rain coat walking to the Lark on rainy days.]
I've recorded some northeast U.S. festival tunes on CDs (loving my Mac) and passed out my tune list to the folks who show up at the OT jam. Also, being without a car, I give some CDs to folks who've been nice enough to cart me around. If you'd like a copy of the tune list and need the password, just drop me a line.
The HOT Stringband have been gearing up for performances at the Cygnet folk festival and the Tamar Valley folk festival. So, Thursdays have been more rehearsals than jams. But, in getting to know them, there have been opportunities to do all sort of other things.
They had a holiday party at a member's home about 30 miles to the south of Hobart. We had great fun jamming. They wanted to play more new tunes and more new tunes. They tend to call them 'American tunes' in juxtaposition to the traditional Aussie tunes. I am careful to call some Aussie tunes from time to time and not monopolize the jams with my overbearing OT emphasis. But, as one of them said 'We're like little sponges!' and they just kept calling the southern US tunes.



Towards evening, though, they switched gears and a guy with a guitar played a whole bunch of traditional sheep shearing tunes. 
Another outcropping from the HOT Stringband - Fred suggested that the women from the Thursday group do a set at the festivals. So, we've been having some side rehearsals. They wanted to learn some new tunes so we've settled on Emily's Waltz, Shoes and Stockings, and Ruffled Drawers. We got to trying on some other waltzes, and I wouldn't be surprised if we got around to having some waltz jams at some date. And, there was some talk of the 'Hobart Women's Waltz Ensemble'. We'll see. As long as the gals were learning new tunes, I started calling them at the Thursday night sessions, and guys are learning them, too. They had a little trouble remember the names at first, and so now the tunes are jokingly called "Fluffy Knickers" and "Boots and Socks".
Since the Cygnet and Tamar festivals happen 2 weekends in a row in January, we decided to rent a campervan and spend the week in between exploring around Tasmania. Cygnet is a small hippie village, south of Hobart. The Tamar Valley is in North central Tasmania. So, we'll see a little of the south and a little of the north.
Upcoming, in February, we'll fly to the mainland for an OT gathering near Melbourne. Sounds a bit like our Black Creek, Harry Smith, and Lake Genero gatherings in the states. Then, off to New Zealand until Easter, when we'll return to the National Folk Festival in Canberra. Then, back to Hobart in late April. Music sure is a great way to meet folks, eh?
If you're considering a visit, think about joining us at any of these festivals. After Easter it will start to get colder and damper, and we'll certainly welcome company then, but it might be a little more low key, indoors, bundled up, kind of experience. And, now you know to leave your umbrellas home.
12/22/2005
Hobart Old Time Stringband
Posted by Ter at 1:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment